Solid Composite Decking v Hollow deck boards
To compare solid composite decking UK made boards we have used our AT® solid composite decking boards against hollow composite deck boards.
Consider the following facts:
1. Hollow deck boards installed outside as part of a typical deck will NOT last as long as a solid board in the same environment*
2. Hollow boards can hold water & moisture internally and once water has got in, it is very difficult to remove; this constant dampness will accelerate the rate of decomposition of the board over an equivalent solid board.
3. Hollow boards require the use of end caps to cover the unsightly exposed ends; these caps are not made from the same raw material characteristics as the decking so will weather differently to the boards themselves.
4. Hollow deck boards are not as resistant to impact damage due to reduced wall thickness and require extensive work to replace a hollow decking board that has become damaged.
The hidden clip system mean that you will have a lot of work to do actually getting to the damaged board!
5. Solid deck boards can be installed without a fall. Hollow system must be installed on a fall, usually around 1 in 40, that’s nearly 5” over a 16’ board!
6. Solid composite deck boards are easier to screw and will not collapse as the screw head buries itself into the board.
Hollow decking requires clip system, this clip system not only adds expense (as it is charged for as an extra) but also does not offer the same ultimate fastening strength that is available when screwing through a solid decking board **
7. Solid composite decking boards offers better noise absorption qualities than hollow decking making it quieter to walk on.
8. If you want a composite decking product that is as easy and simple to work with as wood, and you want it to last 25 years or more, then a solid composite decking is your only choice.
Solid Composite Decking UK Made Boards
And since 2011 the materials used in the manufacture of composite decking boards have achieved FSC® and PEFC certification meaning customers can be assured that all the wood fibres used in our products come from sustainable and well managed forests.
* Based on boards of similar dimension and material composition.
**Based on boards of similar dimensions and material composition and when using a quality composite decking screw such as the ones supplied by UK Composite Decking.